Monday, October 24, 2011

Exodus 6:1-8 I am the LORD

"Then the LORD said to Moses,
'Now you will see what I will do to Pharaoh:
Because of my mighty hand he will let them go;
because of my mighty hand he will drive them out of his country.'

God also said to Moses,
'I am the LORD.
I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob as God Almighty,
but by my name the LORD I did not make myself known to them.
I also established my covenant with them
to give them the land  of Canaan, where they lived as aliens.
Moreover, I have heard the groaning of the Israelites,
whom the Egyptians are enslaving,
and I have remembered my covenant.

Therefore, say to the Israelites:  I am the LORD,
and I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians.
I will free you from being slaves to them,
and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm
and with mighty acts of judgment.
I will take you as my own people,
and I will be your God.
Then you will know that I am the LORD your God,
who brought you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians.
And I will bring you to the land I swore with uplifted hand
to give to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob.
I will give it to you as a possession.
I am the LORD.'
____________________________
Some observations and/or items for further study:

  1. First, God assures Moses that the Israelites will indeed be delivered from Pharaoh's hand.  However, it would be because of God's mighty hand that this would be accomplished.
  2. God would reveal Himself to the Israelites in a deeper way than He had before.  This is signified by His use of the name 'The LORD'.  It is not that the other patriarchs had never heard this name before, but that the Israelites would know God in a much deeper way because of what He would do in delivering them from slavery in Egypt.  [Indeed, the exodus was a pivotal step in God's dealings with the Hebrews.  Many times in Scriptures, reference is made to the exodus, and how God was mighty in delivering His people.]  
  3. God had remembered His covenant:
  • He would give them the land of Canaan as he had promised.  He would bring them there personally.
  • He had heard their groaning and would come to their aid.
  • He would take them as His people, and He would be their God. 

These same covenant promises had been given to Abraham, and then reconfirmed to his son Isaac and grandson Jacob and to Jacob's twelve sons.  Now, as God's chosen leader, Moses is reminded of these promises which God has made.




No comments:

Post a Comment