Thursday, December 1, 2011

Exodus 9:13-19 Future Forecast: Hail Storm Warning

"Then the LORD said to Moses,
Get up early in the morning, confront Pharaoh and say to him,
"This is what the LORD, the God of the Hebrews, says:
Let my people go so that they may worship me,
or this time I  will send the full force of my plagues
against you and against your officials and your people,
so that you may know that there is no one like me in all the earth.
For by now I could have stretched out my hand
and struck you and your people
with a plague that would have wiped you off the earth.

But I have raised you up for this very purpose,
that I might show you my power
and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.
You set yourself against my people and will not let them go.
Therefore, at this time tomorrow
I will send the worst hailstorm that has ever fallen on Egypt,
from the day it was founded till now.
Give an order now to bring your livestock
and everything you have in the field to a place of shelter,
because the hail will fall on every man and animal
that has not been brought in
and is still out in the field,
and they will die."

Exodus 9:13-19 (NIV)
______________________________
The LORD tells Pharaoh many things about Himself  (and about His future plans) in this passage:
  • First, He makes clear who it is who is speaking:  He is the LORD, the God of the Hebrews.
  • He clearly warns Pharaoh that He wants His people to be free to worship Him, and that...
  • ...the full force of His plagues will come upon all Egypt if Pharaoh does not comply.
  • There is no one like Him in all the earth.
  • He holds the lives of Pharaoh and his people in His hands.
  • God has raised Pharaoh up to this position 1) to show Pharaoh His power and 2) so that His name might be proclaimed in all the earth.
  • Pharaoh is setting himself against God's people by not complying.
  • God will bring the worst hailstorm Egypt has ever seen if Pharaoh resists Him.
  • God also specifies the time that the hailstorm will take place.
  • Yet God gives Pharaoh and his people the opportunity to bring men and animals to safety if they believe that He will carry out what He says He will do.
  • Otherwise, any man or animal which is left out in the field will die.
You can't make things much clearer than that. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment